Jets fire to the top

- Advertisement -

IT WAS a case of two wins, but two very different games for Team Jets.

Saturday saw a comfortable 76-38 victory against Galmington, but it was a much tighter affair against Exeter yesterday as Jets maintained their place at the top of the South West Regional League One.

They sit four points clear, albeit having played three more than second-placed Premier Romans.

The first half against Galmington started with both teams trading goals until the formidable Becca Forrest forced the ball off the back line and Jets brought it through court to score on Galmington’s centre pass.

Lauren Devine made an interception and Forrest a rebound, both converted in confident style by Emily Green, to help give Jets a six-goal lead going into the second quarter.

Jets dominated the next quarter, forcing errors which led to a nine-goal run.

It was a massive statement of intent with a full court defensive display and clinical attack leading to a 19-8 quarter and a 37-20 platform going into half-time.

Changes were made with Maddy Fitzgerald Wilkins coming on at centre, Kat Le Riche at wing defence and Molly Carre at goal defence.

It did not take long for them to influence the game and Jets extended their lead to 22 goals.

The final quarter saw Jacy Brown return to the court at centre, Fitzgerald Wilkins move to wing attack and Rosie Tonner to goal attack.

Jets were still full of running and finished off the game in style.

Tonner earned player of the match for her court craft and shooting at both wing attack and goal attack.

Team Jets then produced a big performance against Exeter, growing and adapting through the game.

The first quarter saw both Jets and Exeter scoring on each other’s centres, while a rebound from Devine and an interception from Tonner were both converted to give Jets a two-goal cushion.

Jets made changes to give Exeter some questions to answer, with Leah Griffin moving to goal shooter, Tonner to goal attack and Fitzgerald Wilkins to wing attack.

By the close of the half Jets led 23-22.

Both teams competed for every ball in the third quarter and it ended level at 32-all.

Jets returned to their original attacking line up to close out the game.

It was a fiercely contested final quarter, but Jets took the lead and kept control of their centre pass to finish with a well-deserved four goal win, 46-42.

Brown was awarded player of the match for her consistent contribution all over the court.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Stories

- Advertisement -

UK News

Read the latest free supplements

Read the Town Crier, Le Rocher and a whole host of other subjects like mortgage advice, business, cycling, travel and property.