A YOUNG rape victim was praised for their “bravery and resilience” by police after a teenager was sentenced in a “deeply distressing” case.
The teen boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was 14 at the time of the crime. His victim was much younger.
On Thursday, the Youth Court sentenced him to an 18-month probation order for the offence of rape. He was also placed on the sex offenders register for five years.
He was given a 15-year restraining order against the victim, and a five-year restraining order that stops him from having any unsupervised contact with girls under 18.
Detective Constable Carla Garnier said: “This was a deeply distressing case involving a young child and our thoughts remain with the victim as they begin to move forward following these proceedings.”
The police investigation began after the child disclosed the abuse to family members. It took several months for the teenager to be brought to court.
Throughout this time, DC Garnier said she had been focused on “ensuring the victim and her immediate family were listened to, treated with compassion, and fully supported”.
“I would like to recognise the bravery and resilience shown by the victim throughout the process,” she added.
“Whilst no sentence can undo the harm that has been caused, we hope today’s outcome marks an important step in the justice process.
“This case highlights the importance of early intervention, safeguarding and ensuring young people receive the protection and support they need.
“We will continue to work closely with our partners to identify risk, support victims and help prevent harm.”
Magistrate Bridget Shaw was presiding over the Youth Court panel. Legal Adviser Kerry Grieve was prosecuting, whilst Advocate Sarah Dale was defending.

