The woman was alerted to the fire in her kitchen yesterday morning by a smoke alarm which had been installed by the fire service the previous day.
The 69-year-old woman suffered smoke inhalation from tackling the fire and was given oxygen by firefighters at the scene. The blaze was caused by a saucepan which ignited after boiling dry on a cooking hob at a house on Grande Route de St Aubin.
On hearing the smoke alarm from upstairs, the woman entered the kitchen and switched off the cooker. She then called the fire service to the house, and they ventilated the kitchen with a mechanical fan and administered aid to the woman.
Community safety station manager Trevor Frain said that they were pleased that the smoke alarm had served its purpose. It had been a ‘fortuitous’ incident.