A teenager who brought a knife to Haute Vallée School in “revenge for a previous dispute” has been sentenced to two years and three months of youth detention.
The 15-year-old – who cannot be named due to his age – admitted two offences at the St Helier secondary school on Monday 10 February.
At the Magistrate’s Court on 17 February, he also pleaded guilty to an attempt to commit robbery and possession of an offensive weapon in St Brelade on 7 February.
The teen also pleaded guilty to attempting to illegally enter La Haule Manor with intent to commit larceny, also on the 7 February.
Further offences admitted include a grave and criminal assault against a man on 6 February, and the theft of two pairs of sunglasses, a padel racquet and a bluetooth phone adapter from an unattended vehicle on the same day.
The youth also pleaded guilty to an assault committed in McDonald’s in September 2025.
The offences were deemed too serious to be dealt with by the Magistrate’s Court, and the youth was sentenced in Jersey’s Royal Court this afternoon.
“It must have been terrifying for staff and students alike”
Handing down the Royal Court’s sentence, Bailiff Robert MacRae told the youth: “It must have been terrifying for staff and students alike to see a hooded figure with a concealed face threatening a student with a large knife.
“Your intended victim still does not know why you wanted to assault him, and has also been affected by your behaviour.”
Following the sentencing, a spokesperson for the States of Jersey Police said: “This was a serious and concerning case involving multiple offences across a number of incidents, including behaviour involving a knife, and we welcome the outcome of the court today.”
“While this case will understandably cause concern, we would like to reassure the public that it is an isolated incident and that knife crime in Jersey remains rare. However, incidents such as this can have a significant and lasting impact on those affected,” they added.
“Jersey does not face a widespread knife problem”
“The overall number of knife-related offences in Jersey is low, both in volume and compared to larger jurisdictions, and the majority involve threats or possession rather than incidents resulting in injury,” the spokesperson continued.
“Jersey does not face a widespread knife problem, but we will not be complacent and will continue to take proactive steps, alongside our partners and the wider community, to keep the Island safe.
“The introduction of the Crime (Public Order) (Jersey) Law 2024 reflects our proactive approach to keeping the Island safe, helping to prevent harm, particularly among young people, and ensuring we stay ahead of potential risks.
“We would also like to commend the staff at Haute Vallée School for their swift and selfless actions, which undoubtedly prevented more serious harm.
“Finally, we thank the public and business community for their assistance during the investigation, which included the gathering of significant amounts of CCTV and other evidence.”
Staff and child wellbeing an “absolute priority”
A spokesperson for Children, Young People, Education and Skills added that the department “continues to work closely with schools following the serious incident at Haute Vallée School, earlier this year, to provide support, share guidance and help maintain a safe and reassuring environment for pupils, staff and families”.
They added: “The safety and wellbeing of children, young people and staff will always remain our absolute priority. Incidents of this nature are extremely rare, but we recognise the impact this case has had on students, staff, families and the wider community and remain committed to supporting schools.
“We would again like to thank the staff at Haute Vallée School and the States of Jersey Police for their swift and professional response on the day of the incident, which ensured the situation was brought under control quickly and safely. As the individual involved is a child, it would not be appropriate to comment further on the details of the case.”
Follow Express for updates…

