Three brothers fined after a night of violence fuelled by drink

News | Published:

THREE brothers have been sentenced after being involved in assaults on a barman and a member of the public during a night of violence in St Helier.

Magistrate's Court building

The Magistrate’s Court heard how Fabio Da Silva Abreu (28), Idalino Da Silva Abreu (27) and 39-year-old Germano Silva De Abreu had drunk heavily before going into town and causing a disturbance in the Benfica bar.

It then spilled out onto Cattle Street, where other incidents occurred. All three men were fined by Assistant Magistrate Peter Harris after pleading guilty to charges of being drunk and disorderly, breach of the peace and assault.

He said: ‘Alcohol was the root of all these incidents and drinking too much. You’re all grown men, and I hope you will work hard not to add to your criminal records.’

Outlining the case, Advocate Lauren Hallam, prosecuting, said that on 20 October, the three brothers went into St Helier at 10.45pm and headed to the Benfica bar.

The bar staff member asked Germano, of Route du Fort, and Idalino, of Bath Street, to leave, but they refused and pushed the member of staff.

A struggle then took place as Fabio got involved, and he pushed two women to the floor. Idalino then hit the barman to the head, and one of the defendants kicked the man, who said he had feet ‘swinging past his face’.

The disturbance then calmed down, before Germano and Idalino began arguing outside the property next door, and Fabio stepped in to break it up.

A member of the public pulled him away, but Fabio pushed that person to the ground, the court heard.


During a police interview, Fabio said he could not remember the events, as he had drunk 15 cans of beer. When he was shown footage of the incidents he acknowledged his disorderly behaviour.

Germano told the police he could only remember being stopped by an officer, and said: ‘I apologise for whatever happened. My behaviour was not acceptable.’

Advocate Martin Elks, defending Fabio, of Patriotic Place, said his client was grateful the event did not end in serious injury and he regretted his actions.

Advocate Julian Gollop, defending Idalino, said his client would not be appearing before the court again and had drunk no alcohol since the incident.


Advocate Adam Harrison, defending Germano, added that his client was a family man who wished to apologise to the court.

Mr Harris fined them all £600 each, with Fabio placed on six months’ probation and ordered to complete 90 hours of community service.

The other defendants were made the subject of binding-over orders for six months.


Top Stories


More from the JEP

UK & International News