Advertising

Parachute flare causes fire on boat

News | Published:

FIREFIGHTERS say a man had a lucky escape on Wednesday after a fire broke out on his boat when he accidentally set off a parachute flare.

Firefighters quickly dealt with the incident Picture: ROB CURRIE. (24445049)

A Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said they had a simple message for mariners: 'Don't examine your flares inside your vessel.'

Teams were called to the Old Harbour, opposite Norman's, in St Helier at about 1.45 pm on Wednesday. Smoke was seen coming from a white cabin-cruiser.

Firefighters, who were able to reach the boat on foot as it was low tide, quickly deal with the incident.

A Fire and Rescue Service spokesman added that it was important flares are regularly checked and said any that look damaged or out of date can be disposed of at Acorn Enterprises at La Collette.

Jack Maguire

By Jack Maguire
author

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the JEP

Advertising

UK & International News