Advertising

Axing bus route a major threat to tourism, say top attractions

News | Published:

SOME of Jersey's top tourist attractions have hit out at plans to axe a bus service which they believe will have a devastating impact on their already struggling visitor numbers.

Transport and Technical Services announced last week that the old Connex Explorer route, which stopped at popular visitor sites, will not be replaced with a similar service this summer.

As a result, tourists can only reach attractions using a regular bus route and in most cases will have to return to St Helier before setting off to visit another site. Many of the sites, particularly those in the rural parishes, are served by only a handful of buses each day.

The managing director of La Mare Wine Estate, Tim Crowley, whose bus service has been significantly reduced as a result, said there had been a lack of consultation over the changes. 'Without any warning, our service has been reduced by 70 per cent during the week, while our Sunday service has been cut by 80 per cent,' he said.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the JEP

Advertising

UK & International News