Mediation skills put to the test

WEB_17505522
The Jersey team for the student mediation competition. Seated (from left): Marie Guillemenot, Clemence Taudou Mespoulhé, Marie Le Frapper, Samantha Losh. Standing: Ben Atkins, Lara Morand

STUDENTS learning the skills of mediation from around the UK and Europe were in the Island last month to take part in a national competition hosted by the Institute of Law Jersey and sponsored by The Resolution Centre.

In all, 17 teams took part in the two-day UK Student Mediation Competition in the Magistrate’s Court, involving around 70 students, including a Jersey team. They were tested in four roleplay scenarios designed to develop their skills and help them to understand the value of resolving disputes.

The winners were the University of Law, Bloomsbury, with the University of Central Lancashire (team 1) in second place. Equal third winners were from Liverpool John Moores University, Queen’s University Belfast and the University of Central Lancashire (team 2).

From Jersey, Samantha Losh from the Institute of Law team was ranked in the top ten rolepayers overall and Lara Morand, also from the Institute, stepped in as a team member to assist the Liverpool John Moores team, helping them to their joint third place.

The Institute of Law and the Resolution Centre also recruited over 50 judges including lawyers, mediators, academics and others involved in dispute resolution. Over 400 scoresheets were compiled and each student was given individual feedback.

Get the paper delivered to your door, on mobile, tablet and PC from just 52p a day with JEP Extra