Manchester City hit five past sorry Arsenal as Granit Xhaka sees red

- Advertisement -

Ferran Torres struck twice as Manchester City piled on the misery for Mikel Arteta with an emphatic 5-0 win over 10-man Arsenal at the Etihad Stadium.

Pep Guardiola’s champions never looked back after taking a 2-0 lead inside the opening 12 minutes of a one-sided Premier League encounter with goals from Ilkay Gundogan and Torres.

The Gunners then capitulated after the sending off of Granit Xhaka with Gabriel Jesus, Rodri and Torres completing the rout.

The result left the Gunners bottom at full-time, still without a point from their opening three matches of the new league campaign, with pressure mounting on their manager – Guardiola’s former assistant Arteta.

Xhaka was sent off for a horrible challenge on Cancelo
Xhaka was sent off for a horrible challenge on Cancelo (Nick Potts/PA)

Admittedly, on this occasion, they were helped by some poor Arsenal defending. City unveiled sculptures of Vincent Kompany and David Silva before the game and jokes soon circulated that Arteta might have been better off with either statue in his side.

City took instant command. Jesus and Torres appear to have done a job swap with the Brazil striker featuring in a wide role for the second successive game and winger Torres starting in the centre.

The roles appear to suit them with Jesus, fresh from providing two assists against Norwich last week, providing the cross for Gundogan’s opener on seven minutes.

A new statue of Manchester City’s former player David Silva
A new statue of Manchester City’s former player David Silva (Nick Potts/PA)

Torres may not possess the threat of Kane or Ronaldo but he showed his eye for goal last season and again he was on hand as City doubled their lead.

Arsenal’s defence switched off as a free-kick was taken short. Bernardo Silva was unchallenged as he clipped the ball into the box and, after Cedric Soares missed it, Torres was left with a tap-in.

It could have been three after another incisive move soon after but this time Torres’ shot from a Jesus pass was off-target.

The only way Arsenal were likely to get back into the game was from a City mistake and that almost transpired when Emile Smith Rowe charged down a pass from a casual Ederson but the rebound rolled wide.

Things went from bad to worse for the Gunners when Xhaka was given his marching orders on 35 minutes. Referee Martin Atkinson showed a straight red card after the Switzerland midfielder jumped into a two-footed challenge on Joao Cancelo.

Their woe was further compounded two minutes before the interval when Jack Grealish cut into the box and set up Jesus, who took a touch and then rattled in the third.

City were in no mood to ease up after the restart either and a fourth seemed inevitable as they applied persistent pressure.

Ferran Torres struck twice
Ferran Torres struck twice (Nick Potts/PA)

The pressure continued with substitute Raheem Sterling forcing a save from Bernd Leno and then curling another effort wide.

Torres claimed his second six minutes from time when he glanced in a header off the post from a Riyad Mahrez cross to complete Arsenal’s misery.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest Stories

- Advertisement -

UK News

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Read the latest free supplements

Read the Town Crier, Le Rocher and a whole host of other subjects like mortgage advice, business, cycling, travel and property.