A bow-and-arrow attack in a small town in Norway which left five people dead appears to be a terrorist act, authorities have said.
Police identified the suspect as Espen Andersen Braathen, a 37-year-old Danish citizen, who was arrested on Wednesday night.
Police said the suspect used the bow and arrow and possibly other weapons to randomly target people at a supermarket and other locations in Kongsberg, a town of about 26,000 where he lived, before he was seized by police on the street.
Police said they believe he acted alone.
”We do not know what the motivation of the perpetrator is,” Mr Sjoevold said. “We have to wait for the outcome of the investigation.”
He said the suspect was known earlier to the PST, but he declined to elaborate.
Regional police chief Ole B Saeverud described the man as being known as a Muslim convert and said there “earlier had been worries of the man having been radicalised”, but he did not elaborate or say why he was previously flagged or what authorities did in response.
The suspect is being held on preliminary charges and will face formal charges on Friday.
Mass killings are rare in low-crime Norway, and the attack immediately drew comparisons with the country’s worst peacetime slaughter a decade ago, when a right-wing domestic extremist killed 77 people with a bomb, a rifle and a pistol.
People have “experienced that their safe local environment suddenly became a dangerous place,” said Norwegian King Harald V. “It shakes us all when horrible things happen near us, when you least expect it, in the middle of everyday life on the open street.”
Newly appointed Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Stoere called the attack “horrific”.
Police were alerted to a man shooting arrows at about 6.15pm and arrested him about 30 minutes later.
Regional prosecutor Ann Iren Svane Mathiassen, said that after the man’s arrest, he “clearly described what he had done. He admitted killing the five people”.
Dozens of people saw the killings. Erik Benum, who lives on the same road as the supermarket that was attacked, said he saw shop workers taking shelter in doorways.
“I saw them hiding in the corner. Then I went to see what was happening, and I saw the police moving in with a shield and rifles. It was a very strange sight,” Mr Benum said.
Ms Svane Mathiassen said the bow and arrows were just part of the attacker’s arsenal.
Police have not said what other weapons were used.
Ms Svane Mathiassen, who is leading the investigation, told Norwegian broadcaster NRK that the suspect will be assessed by forensic psychiatric experts.
“This is not unusual in such serious cases,” she was quoted as saying.
The main church in Kongsberg was open to anyone in need of support.
“I don’t think anyone expects to have these kinds of experiences. But nobody could imagine this could happen here in our little town,” said parish priest Reidar Aasboe.