Advertising

Care home residents exposed to carbon monoxide

News | Published:

A BOILER repair company has admitted breaching the Health and Safety Law after staff and residents of a care home were exposed to carbon monoxide last March.

Royal Court building (24214185)

Gas Services (Jersey) Ltd yesterday entered guilty pleas to the offences before Commissioner Julian Clyde-Smith in the Royal Court and will now be sentenced on 3 May.

According to the summons, work the company undertook at L’Hermitage Care Home in St Peter on 9 March last year resulted in carbon monoxide exposure for residents and staff.

Gas Services (Jersey) Ltd ‘failed to ensure that employees who were required to undertake work upon the boilers were suitably qualified and competent to carry our their work to industry-recognised standards, including ensuring combustion analyses were carried out on each of the four boilers and the effectiveness and security of the four boiler flues were fully checked before the boilers were returned to service,’ the summons reads.

The failures meant the company had failed in its duty not to expose staff members to risk, the legal document said.

‘As a result of these failures, the residents and staff at L’Hermitage Care Home were exposed to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Furthermore, the residents and staff were exposed to carbon monoxide,’ the summons said.

Advocate Giles Emmanuel appeared on behalf of the company and submitted guilty pleas on ‘an agreed basis’ which was not divulged to the court. Crown Advocate Conrad Yates appeared for the prosecution.

Tania Targett

By Tania Targett
Journalist

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the JEP

Advertising

UK & International News