Community service for man who went ‘on the rampage’

News | Published:

A 22-YEAR-OLD man who went ‘on the rampage’ after a woman refused to leave a town flat with him has been sentenced to probation and community service.


Charley Mills, of La Roserie, Mont Pinel, assaulted the woman at a property in Rouge Bouillon on 2 January. Apart from grabbing her and pulling her around, he struck her with a heater, smashed a lamp worth £40 and caused damage to a door when he pushed his way back into the property after walking outside.

He pleaded guilty to assault, malicious damage and resisting arrest and was ordered to complete a 12-month probation order and 60 hours of community service.

He was also fined a total of £450 and banned from going into pubs and clubs for three months.

As Mills had been sentenced in November last year to 120 hours of community service for assault, the court was limited to imposing a total of 180 hours of community service, meaning the maximum extra hours available for sentencing was 60 hours.

However, Magistrate Bridget Shaw said that she would impose a six-month default prison sentence for a breach, which is usually the default for not completing a 90 hour order.

Outlining the offence, police legal adviser Lauren Hallam said that Mills was with the victim and another individual who had been drinking.

‘When she said that she wanted to stay in the flat, the defendant went on the rampage. He picked up a heater and brought it down beside the victim. It hit her leg but did not cause any injury,’ said Miss Hallam

The victim was ‘shocked and scared’ by the defendant’s actions, the court heard. Miss Hallam said that he grabbed at her face and arms and also pulled her leg while she was on the sofa.


The court heard that throughout the incident he was shouting insulting swear words at the woman. ‘He broke her phone screen and was about to stamp on the phone but she managed to grab it away from him,’ she said.

The police were called and when they arrived, the defendant was unco-operative and officers had to use pava spray to restrain him.

Advocate Giles Emmanuel, defending, submitted that Mills was trying to turn his life around and had a new job in construction that would be secure if a non-custodial sentence was imposed.

He told the court that his client sustained a serious head injury in 2010 that had led to him suffering from anxiety attacks and memory loss.

In sentencing, Magistrate Bridget Shaw said: ‘You are acquiring a shocking record for violence. You came before the court in November and you were warned about alcohol back then. However, I am just persuaded to give you a chance and that is largely due to the fact that you now have a job and a career. You will have to change your behaviour.’

Richard Heath

By Richard Heath

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the JEP

UK & International News