Deputy Caroline Labey who has been working on the project for a number of years said: “I think if there is a safer and more pleasant route to St.Helier, more people will cycle”.
This is absolutely correct, one has only to look at the amount of use that the western cycle route has, to see the potential of a cycle route out east.
- The Tour of Britain starts on 11 September. Among the top line stars riding the event will be Bradley Wiggins and Geraint Thomas.
- However, bad last minute news for the Tour of Ireland, due to be held between 18th to the 22nd August. Despite gaining almost all the sponsorship required, the race just fell short of the total amount needed. It’s hoped to run the event next year.
- This year’s Tour de France winner Alberto Contador has finally bid farewell to his Astana team, with whom he won two Tour de France victories. After the usual ‘will he, won’t he’, and a last minute demand from Astana to sign up quickly, Contador has thrown his hand in with Bjarne Riis’ Saxo Bank team. Interestingly enough, Contador’s nemesis: Andy Schleck is leaving Saxo Bank, with whom he’s been associated since he started pro-racing, and forming a new squad in 2011.
- Hammersmith Police are putting out bikes as decoys for bicycle thieves to pinch, each bike has a tracking device built into it which starts as soon as the bike is moved. Apparently 20 of these have been put around the area, and most of them have been taken. One went within nine minutes of being chained up! According to Hammersmith Police, bike theft has fallen by a third since this new scheme has been in operation.
- While London’s new bike hire scheme goes from strength to strength, a similiar scheme in Melbourne, Australia looks like it’s not even leaving the starting blocks.
Take a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v+ovmYuKcvau8&feature_player_embedded
- Riding in the wheel tracks of last year’s Dave Gorman, who rode a bike as his sole means of transport for his ‘ Sit Down, Pedal, Pedal, Stop and Stand Up tour, is musician Martin Harley. Harley plans to ride to 27 shows beginning in Gateshead on 20th August. His route will finally take him to the Eden Project in Cornwall.
- Not a good week for Sir Chris Hoy, who crashed his XKR Jaguar into a Vauxhall Vectra as he turned right out of Manchester Velodrome on Thursday evening. As one wag said afterwards, ‘they only turn left on the track’.
- Thinking of going touring and don’t know which bike to buy? Take a look at a new eBook out by American touring aficionado, Darren Alff. In it Darren takes a look at over 200 suitable bikes. Check it here: http://bicycletouringpro.com/blog/its-finally-here-the-essential-guide-to-touring-bicycles/
I love the quote from Grouville Constable Dan Murphy about the new cycle track being built at Gorey. Mr Murphy, who opposed the track, said: ‘I hope it’s going to be used, considering we are spending half a million pounds on it.’ Bah Humbug!
Arthur Lamy is a freelance writer and tourist guide: www.cycleinjersey.com