Tributes paid to 14-year-old boy killed in east London sword rampage

A 14-year-old boy killed in a sword attack as he walked to school was a “much-loved” pupil and a keen footballer.

Tributes have been paid to Daniel Anjorin, who died when the horrific attack happened in Hainault, east London, on Tuesday morning.

The Metropolitan Police said a 36-year-old man remains in custody on suspicion of Daniel’s murder as it gave more details about how the incident unfolded.

Daniel was a pupil at Bancroft’s, the same independent school in east London attended by Grace O’Malley-Kumar, a medical student who was murdered in a knife attack in Nottingham last summer.

Hainault incident
A flag flies at half-mast at Bancroft’s in Woodford Green, east London (Ian West/PA)

According to the BBC, he described the teenager as a “much-loved” member of the school, and added: “I had been intending to write to you once the news has become public, but I understand that many within our community may already be aware of events yesterday.

“It is therefore with great sadness and shock that I am writing to inform you of the tragic death of Daniel Anjorin, one of our pupils.

“Our thoughts and prayers at this moment are with Daniel’s family and friends.

“More details will be forthcoming over the coming hours and days, but for now, our focus is on supporting the members of our community and particularly those who knew Daniel well.”

The statement went on: “It seems scarcely believable that less than a year on from the terrible death of Grace O’Malley-Kumar in the Nottingham attacks we are facing fresh sorrow.”

Cyan Thompson, 19, told the newspaper: “I can’t believe he has gone. He was such a good person with great manners. He was so caring. He loved football and was like a mini Messi when he was younger. He also loved Arsenal.

“He was so bright with a great future ahead, very good at solving maths problems. We are heartbroken.”

Daniel’s mother works at Holy Family Catholic School in Walthamstow, east London.

The school published a statement on its website that said: “Mrs Anjorin’s son was taken from this life suddenly this morning on his way to school. Please keep Mrs Anjorin, her husband, and their other children in your prayers.”

Valdo Calocane court case
Grace O’Malley-Kumar was stabbed to death in Nottingham last year (Family handout/Nottinghamshire Police/PA)

He said: “It’s absolutely appalling. You can’t even imagine what the parents are going through. This is just the most difficult thing for any parents to endure.”

A female police officer who suffered “horrifically serious” arm injuries was one of four people who were hurt in the horror attack.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Mark Rowley said she is facing “a long journey of recovery” after nearly losing her hand.

He told LBC: “The surgeon spent many, many hours basically putting her arm back together.”

A male officer also suffered serious hand injuries and is recovering in hospital.

Forensic investigators in Laing Close in Hainault, north east London
Forensic investigators in Laing Close in Hainault, east London (Jordan Pettitt/PA)

“What you’ve actually seen on some of the videos that are around social media and on news sites … you actually see what that really looks like.

“You’ve got officers running towards someone who’s waving a sword.”

Giving more detail of how the attack happened, Scotland Yard said a 33-year-old man was hit by the suspect’s van when it crashed into a house Laing Close, Hainault.

He was then attacked by the man and was injured in the neck.

Then, a 35-year-old man suffered cuts to his arm when he was attacked inside a property nearby.

The suspect then attacked and killed Daniel.

The first officers at the scene tried to incapacitate the suspect, but their spray did not subdue him.

Two officers were attacked by the man, causing them with serious injuries.

The man ran off and was confronted by other police officers nearby who used a Taser to subdue and then arrest him.

Detective Chief Inspector Larry Smith, who is leading the investigation, said: “This is a complex investigation due to the number of crime scenes, forensic evidence, hours of CCTV footage and witnesses we need to speak to.

“I know that many people will want answers and we are working to provide them as soon as we can.

“I would also echo previous calls for patience as my officers carry out a painstaking investigation to deliver justice for Daniel, his family, those injured and the wider community.

“We are starting to build a picture of what happened on Tuesday and I want to thank everyone who has come forward to share dashcam, doorbell and mobile phone footage with us.

“Likewise, thank you to witnesses, who were no doubt terrified by what they saw, and who have made vital contributions to our investigation.

“Anyone who has not yet spoken to police and has any information should contact us as soon as possible.”

– Advertisement –
– Advertisement –