Compensation scheme for child abuse victims may be widened

MINISTERS will today consider a number of claims by victims of historical child abuse while in States care to decide if they should be covered by the existing compensation scheme, the Chief Minister has confirmed.

The matter will be discussed by the Council of Ministers on Thursday
The matter will be discussed by the Council of Ministers on Thursday

MINISTERS will today consider a number of claims by victims of historical child abuse while in States care to decide if they should be covered by the existing compensation scheme, the Chief Minister has confirmed.

Following a written States question from Deputy Mike Higgins on the subject, Chief Minister Ian Gorst said that a report from the lawyers of the Historical Abuse Redress Scheme, which was launched in March and made up to £60,000 available to each victim, was on the agenda to be discussed at the next Council of Ministers meeting due to take place today.

It concerned, he said, claims from those who had been in States care which did not strictly fit into the criteria of the redress scheme because they related to abuse that took place away from a residential care home or where the alleged abuser was not a States employee or a fellow care home resident.