McConnell guides Rebels to cup victory over Pirates

Sport | Published:

TWO fine all-round displays dominated the final of the S E Guy Memorial Trophy final at Grainville on Friday evening.

Luke Kellett batting for JMCo Walkovers Rebels against Trafalgar Pirates. Picture: ROB CURRIE (21807528)

Walkovers Rebels’ Jordan McConnell and Trafalgar Pirates’ Danny Blasco both smashed half-centuries and got among the wickets, but it was Walkovers who prevailed in a competitive match, winning by seven runs in the last over.

After his side had been put into bat in the 12-overs-a-side match, McConnell set the tone with a first-ball boundary as Pirates’ Dom Glennon was hit for 13 in his opening over.

This turned out to be the most expensive over of the innings, the bowling side regaining some control and claiming the wicket of Luke Kellett, bowled by Ed Kean in the fourth over.

Matt Cox also hit his first ball for four and supported McConnell in a second-wicket stand of 40.

Cox was looking to match his partner’s big hitting, but in trying to hoist Tim Corson on to the adjacent rugby pitch he missed and was trapped leg before wicket.

Pirates lost Roly McMichael to an injury, with catering manager Josh Chamier pressed into action as 12th man.

The scoring rate was kept in check by some committed fielding, including by the evergreen Roger Trower, the only participant whose cricket career coincided with the era of Island sporting stalwart Sid Guy, in whose memory the trophy was founded.

McConnell kept the board moving and had a life in the tenth over when Andy Dewhurst put down a skier at long off.


Taking the pace off the ball, Blasco conceded only 22 runs from his three overs and claimed two wickets, with Anthony Marriott and Ollie Reynolds both bowled.

Corson had John Patterson caught by Nick Trower and McConnell finally perished in the last over, run out for 53.

Needing to score at just under eight runs an over to claim the win, Pirates had a sticky start as McConnell opened the bowling for Walkovers.

Neil Taylor dropped Ed Kean at fly-slip, but then made amends by catching Dewhurst and Kean in the same position, both from McConnell’s bowling.


The run-chase gathered momentum as Blasco hit McConnell for three fours in the third over, and Glennon joined the party as well, hoisting Andrew Bouchard for a huge six – the day’s only maximum on the long Grainville boundaries.

The pair put on 61 for the third wicket, but were hampered in their running by an injury to Blasco, which made twos a rare commodity and saw the required rate climb to ten-an-over with three to be bowled.

Returning for his third and final over, McConnell bowled Glennon for 15 and then scattered Nick Trower’s stumps first ball.

Two wickets and just five runs conceded in the penultimate over proved to be decisive; with 16 needed off the last, Blasco gave his side hope with a first-ball boundary, but couldn’t repeat the feat and eventually holed out off the last ball of the match.

Jersey Cricket Board chairman Ward Jenner presented the S E Guy Memorial Trophy to Walkovers skipper Mark Roche, with McConnell claiming the man-of-the-match award thanks to his half-century and four wickets for 25 runs.

The match umpires were Alistair Horton and John Treleven.

  • Full results inside Monday's JEP


Top Stories


More from the JEP

UK & International News