Pilot in Grand Canyon helicopter crash ‘lost control due to violent gust’

Five British tourists died in the crash in 2018.

Pilot in Grand Canyon helicopter crash ‘lost control due to violent gust’

The pilot of a helicopter that crashed in the Grand Canyon in 2018, killing five British tourists, told investigators he was not able to control the aircraft after a “violent gust of wind” sent it spinning, according to a US report.

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) released its final report on Thursday that said tailwinds, potential downdrafts and turbulence were the probable cause of the loss of control.

The investigation found no evidence of mechanical problems with the helicopter.

The report did not include any safety recommendations.

The Airbus EC130 B4 crashed just before sunset in February 2018 in a section of the Grand Canyon where air tours are not as highly regulated as in the national park.

Grand Canyon helicopter crash
A memorial service was held in Sussex for Stuart and Jason Hill, who were killed alongside Becky Dobson in a helicopter crash in the Grand Canyon (Gareth Fuller/PA)

“It just took the aircraft from me,” he told investigators in an interview months after the crash. “It just spun it, and I couldn’t fly it. It just took it so quickly.”

Witnesses saw the helicopter make at least two 360-degree turns before hitting the ground and bursting into flames.

Three of the tourists, from Worthing, West Sussex, were pronounced dead at the scene: veterinary receptionist Becky Dobson, 27; her boyfriend and car salesman Stuart Hill, 30; and Mr Hill’s brother, 32-year-old lawyer Jason Hill.

Mr Booth fractured his lower left leg and passenger Jennifer Barham suffered a spinal fracture. They also suffered severe burns but survived.

Gary Robb, a lawyer for Mr Udall, called the NTSB investigation thorough and well-researched.

“The Udall family from the beginning has wanted to find out what happened so this can prevent other helicopter victims from literally being burned alive,” he said.

The investigation revealed a chaotic attempt to render aid.

Witnesses who included other pilots, passengers and a wedding party in the canyon saw smoke and heard screams after the helicopter crashed. Some people ran toward the flames to help, against the pilots’ advice to stay close to picnic tables.

Witnesses saw two women emerge from the flaming wreckage, dazed, burned and bleeding. They were screaming for their loved ones, pilots said.

The British tourists boarded the helicopter earlier that day in Boulder City near Las Vegas as part of a trip to celebrate Stuart Hill’s birthday and the Udalls as newlyweds.

Grand Canyon helicopter crash
Mourners gathered at St Matthews Church in Worthing (Gareth Fuller/PA)

As Mr Booth approached the canyon, he took note that other parked helicopters were pointing different directions and saw a windsock “waving like a waffle”. He slowed down to land and was hit hard by the wind, manoeuvring to try to gain control, he said.

Next thing he knew, he was up on a ledge, and his trousers were on fire. Another pilot used a tourniquet on Mr Booth’s leg. Others were covering him with blankets and jackets, he said.

Witnesses tried to use a satellite phone but the battery was dead. They attempted to draw power from a helicopter but had no service. A box containing medical supplies had to be smashed open because no one knew the combination to the lock, according to the NTSB report.

Pilots began ferrying emergency responders who reached the site about 45 minutes later, the report said. Victims were not taken to hospitals for six hours because of the remoteness of the area and communications issues, the NTSB said.

Pilots flying that day anticipated wind but the NTSB said it is unlikely they were alerted to weather advisories about turbulence and stronger winds that were issued after their morning briefing.

Investigators also noted that the helicopter lacked a crash-resistant fuel system. The helicopters in Papillon’s fleet were not required to have them, but the company has since retrofitted the aircraft with fuel tanks that expand and seal upon impact instead of rupturing.

After the crash, Papillon also placed new satellite phones with better coverage, trauma kits and a collapsible metal stretcher in unlocked metal containers in the canyon for emergencies.

The family of Mr Udall sued the helicopter company and the aircraft manufacturer, accusing them of failing to equip the helicopter with the crash-resistant system. That case is ongoing.

Most Read

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More From The Jersey Evening Post

UK & International News