Royal family wish Princess Royal happy birthday
Anne is the only daughter of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.
The royal family have wished the Princess Royal a happy birthday, by sharing an Annie Leibovitz photograph of Anne with the Queen.
The informal image by the celebrity photographer was taken in the White Drawing Room at Windsor Castle in 2016 to mark the monarch turning 90.
It shows Anne in a polo neck, blouse and jumper, sitting close to her mother on a sofa, with her arm resting behind the royal matriarch.
The message on the monarchy’s official Twitter account read: “Happy Birthday to The Princess Royal! #HappyBirthdayHRH”.
Anne has turned 69, one step closer to her milestone 70th next year.
The Duke of York’s Twitter account also sent the princess birthday congratulations, with a collection of images of Andrew and his older sister over the years.
The princess, the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh’s only daughter, is known for her no-nonsense approach and her work ethic.
Involved with more than 300 charities, organisations and military regiments, Anne regularly tops the leader board as the royal carrying out the most public engagements.
She is the mother of silver medal-winning Olympic horsewoman Zara Tindall and Peter Phillips, who runs a sports management firm.
– Anne once remarked: “As a young princess I was huge disappointment to everyone concerned. It’s impractical to go around in life dressed in a long white dress and a crown.”
– In 2002, Anne became the first senior member of the royal family to be convicted of a criminal offence.
– A skilled horsewoman, Anne won the individual championship at Burghley in 1971, and was voted BBC Sports Personality of the Year.
– She won a place in the 1976 Montreal Olympics as a three-day eventer in the British equestrian team.
– Anne survived an attempted kidnapping in 1974 when a gunman tried to abduct her and her then husband, Captain Mark Phillips, as they were driven along The Mall to Buckingham Palace.
– She kept her cool, and when the gunman, Ian Ball, told her to “Come with me for a day or two” because he wanted £2 million, she replied: “Not bloody likely – and I haven’t got £2 million”.
– The Duke of Edinburgh later quipped: “If the man had succeeded in abducting Anne, she would have given him a hell of a time in captivity.”
– In 1987, Anne was honoured by the Queen with the senior title of Princess Royal, which is traditionally, but not automatically, given by the sovereign to their eldest daughter.
– Anne has been married twice. She wed Capt Phillips in 1973, they separated in 1989 and divorced in 1992.
– Their relationship came to light in 1989 when personal letters the Royal Navy Commander wrote to Anne were stolen from the princess’s briefcase and sent to the Sun newspaper.
– Anne has become known for recycling her outfits, wearing some of them 40 years after their first outing.
– The rule that younger brothers could succeed before elder sisters no longer applies thanks to the Succession to the Crown Act 2013, but it was not backdated so did not affect Anne.
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.