Advertising

First group of Extinction Rebellion protesters appear in court

UK News | Published:

More than 1,150 arrests were made during demonstrations in the capital in April.

Almost 30 climate change protesters have appeared in court charged with a public order offence after Extinction Rebellion demonstrations in central London.

The defendants were asked to enter guilty or not guilty pleas during hearings at City of London Magistrates’ Court on Friday.

The protesters, who range in age from 20 to 76, are accused of failing to comply with an order to stick to an allocated area near Marble Arch in central London.

The hearings, which continued all day in two court rooms simultaneously, recorded a mixture of pleas, resulting in a number of trials scheduled for September and October.

Out of the 29 pleas entered, eight were guilty and 21 were not guilty.

More than 1,000 activists were arrested over the protest action that brought parts of central London to a standstill in April, and so far 232 files of evidence have been passed to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).

The Metropolitan Police said in May that they would push for all the 1,151 people arrested, including Olympic gold medal-winning canoeist Etienne Stott, to face charges.

Advertising

So far 180 have been charged, one cautioned for outraging public decency and 32 released with no further action. The hundreds of others remain under consideration for charges.

The group’s tactics included asking volunteers to deliberately get arrested to cause maximum disruption at roadblocks on Waterloo Bridge, Oxford Circus and Marble Arch, while others glued themselves to trains and buildings.

The defendants appearing in court on Friday were charged with knowingly failing to comply with a condition imposed by a senior police officer under Section 14 of the Public Order Act 1986.

Extinction Rebellion protests
Dozens of protesters camped at Marble Arch (PA)

Advertising

The oldest defendant Caroline Hunt, 76, of Alfred Place in Bristol also pleaded guilty to the offence relating to Waterloo Bridge on April 21 2019.

Simon Kitt, 25, of Newton Abbot, pleaded guilty to the same offence also relating to Waterloo Bridge on April 21 2019.

Speaking outside court afterwards, Kitt said: “It’s beautiful to see everyone here showing such support for the cause.

“It’s been really nice having everyone around and it just shows the depth of the support that this cause really has.”

Those who pleaded guilty were given conditional discharges.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the JEP

UK & International News