What I Know - Annette Perkins
A professional dance teacher, Annette Perkins was raised in St Saviour and has taught at The Jersey Academy of Dancing for 60 years
- I first developed my interest in dancing at the age of three. It was back then that I decided I wanted to be a teacher. I later trained to be a professional ballerina at London’s Sadler's Wells Academy. My parents wanted me to perform, but I knew I wanted to teach.
- The production I have enjoyed choreographing the most was Annie. It was a world amateur premiere and I co-produced it with two very dear friends, who are sadly no longer with us. I also enjoyed working on the Jersey Academy of Dancing's Beatrix Potter as it was great fun to choreograph a ballet-based show and I was able to use John Lauchberry's score, which he kindly sent me. I would like to produce Matilda one day as, again, it is a mainly child-based musical and it's full of fun and energy.
- I will be celebrating my diamond anniversary as a teacher this year. I have been hearing whispers in the school of a dinner party.
- The late Dame Ninette de Valois has been the biggest inspiration on my life. And my all-time favourite dancer would have to be [English ballerina] Margot Fonteyn. She had a local connection [Margot's parents lived in Jersey] and I got to meet her many times at the Royal Ballet School.
- If I could stage a production in any venue in the world, it would have to be The Royal Opera House in Covent Garden because of its connection with the Royal Ballet.
- I enjoy eating at St Brelade's Bay Hotel and La Taverna. I'm a keen cook. My favourite dish? Liver and onions.
- I love the scenery in Jersey – you cannot better it. My favourite part of the Island has to be the west coast.
- My family and friends make me happiest. And nothing makes me angrier than bad manners and bullying.
- If I could introduce one new law to Jersey, it would be free university education – including theatre, dance and arts.
- What advice would I give to those who don't dance? Get a life! Don't care what anyone else thinks and just have a go.