THE cause of a fire which wrecked the kitchen at HMP La Moye earlier this year has been revealed – tea towels.
Home Affairs Minister Helen Miles said the items had self-combusted after being taken out of a dryer and placed in a sealed plastic bag.
Revealing the cause of the blaze at a Children, Education and Home Affairs Scrutiny Panel hearing, Deputy Miles added that while the prison’s kitchen had been out of action, food had been supplied by the Hospital’s catering unit for several months. Fresh meals were now being prepared back at HMP La Moye, she told the panel.
Contingency plans were put in place at the prison in January this year to provide meals to inmates, after the weekend blaze broke out in its kitchen.