Urgent recall of Co-op frozen vegetables after glass found in product

News | Published:

A RETAILER has announced an urgent and immediate recall of a batch of frozen vegetables after an Islander reported finding a piece of glass lodged in her mouth after eating the product.


The Channel Islands Co-operative Society confirmed that the product had been on sale in 19 of its stores before the contamination was reported.

The announcement comes after a woman posted a warning to Islanders on the Facebook group ‘Jersey Ask, Advise, Advertise’ this week to say that she had found a piece of glass lodged in her mouth after eating the vegetables.

Mother-of-three Natalie Appleby took to Facebook to explain that she felt something sharp stuck in her gum and, upon tasting blood, went to the bathroom to see what it was. She found a piece of glass stuck behind her teeth.

She added that her tongue had also been cut several times and expressed relief that she, and not her children, had eaten them.

Mark Cox, the acting chief executive officer for the Co-op, said: ‘We are aware that a bag of frozen vegetables was contaminated and we took immediate action this morning and removed the product from sale.

‘The product was on sale in ten Jersey stores and nine Guernsey stores.’

Mr Cox added: ‘The incident has been reported to our buying group in Manchester who will be conducting an investigation.’

The Co-op has asked that anyone who has purchased the bags of frozen vegetables – 640g (4 x 160g), product code 5000128890120 / batch L9169B2 / best before Dec 2020 – to return the product to their nearest store for a full refund or call the Co-op on 879822.

Krystle Higgins

By Krystle Higgins

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the JEP


UK & International News