Witness tells trial: Alleged rape victim was so drunk she was almost ‘unconscious’

News | Published:

A WOMAN who claims she was raped has been described by a witness who saw her hours before the alleged incident as being so drunk she was almost ‘unconscious’, a court has heard.

MH395 (24667898)

The witness, who was with friends on the night, described seeing the woman in a doorway, unresponsive and with her eyes closed.

It is the prosecution’s case that the defendant, Manuel Aguilar (24), accompanied the woman from a bar in St Helier to her house and then raped her. He denies the charge.

The witness told the court: ‘The lady was not moving at all and not talking. I would say she was approximately a nine if ten is unconscious – she was not moving and was not talking.’

The court heard paramedics were called to assist the alleged victim, who did not want to go to hospital. It was heard on Monday that the woman woke up ‘naked and disorientated’ and later asked the defendant if anything had happened.

He initially said ‘no’, but later added that he was not ‘100%’ sure nothing had happened, the jury was told. The alleged victim went to the police several weeks later having discovered she was pregnant.

During yesterday’s hearing, the witness explained to the court how he, his group of friends and another man, who the prosecution believe was the defendant, began helping the woman walk back to her home, supporting her along the way.

However, the witness told the jury that while walking back the man allegedly told the group: ‘I am a good guy – do not worry nothing will ever happen.’

Commenting on the alleged remark, the witness said: ‘That seemed very out of place and a defensive statement when no one had posed an attacking question.’


The witness was then asked what happened when the group reached the woman’s apartment complex.

He said: ‘I found the woman’s key and found the door. It opened and the young woman walked upstairs unaided.

‘I cannot remember the conversation specifically, but the young man then followed the woman up – I do not know if anything was said.’

The trial, which is expected to last until Thursday, continues. Deputy Bailiff Tim Le Cocq was presiding.

Ed Taylor

By Ed Taylor

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the JEP

UK & International News