Company admits health and safety breach over fuel depot fire
A COMPANY has pleaded guilty to breaching health and safety laws following a fire at a fuel depot at La Collette last year which left one person in hospital.
The blaze, which took place on 25 May at the depot of Petroleum Distributors Ltd, led to the Fire and Rescue Service declaring a code amber – which recalls all available off-duty and retained firefighters. Roads at Havre des Pas and Commercial Buildings were also cordoned off.
At its height, 25 firefighters, three fire engines, a foam tanker, two support 4x4 vehicles and a command vehicle were present at the incident.
On Friday, in the Royal Court, the company admitted failing to carry out a risk assessment while one of their employees was decommissioning a petrol dispenser, and exposing their employee to danger. It was said in court that the fire began during the decommissioning process.
Advocate Adam Harrison, defending, yesterday entered a guilty plea on behalf of Petroleum Distributors Ltd, and the company is due to appear in court on 28 September for sentencing.