Man admits assaults after trying to speak to his ex-girlfriend
AN angry ex-boyfriend twice assaulted a man who had tried to prevent him from speaking to his ex-girlfriend.
Ricardo Algarvio Pestana (19), of St Mark’s Road, is to be sentenced next month after he pleaded guilty to attacks on the man in the Millennium Park and David Place.
The court heard that the defendant had been in a four-month relationship with a woman, who then ended it.
Centenier Tony Batho said that at about 10.30 pm on 3 April, Pestana saw his ex-girlfriend walking with two of her friends in the Millennium Park. The woman did not want to speak to him and the Centenier said that her friends, who included the victim, tried to get him away and asked him to leave.
The court was told that Pestana punched the male victim with his right fist and hit him on the shoulder. However, Pestana’s lawyer, Advocate Michael Haines, said that his client denied punching but admitted a push.
Pestana was arrested, released by police and warned for before appear before a Town Hall inquiry.
However, five days later on Sunday 8 April, the victim was walking in David Place when he received a strong push from behind and fell onto to his knees. Centenier Batho said that it was Pestana, who then said to the victim: ‘Now you have no one to protect you.’ The victim ran off and the defendant pursued him.
Advocate Haines said that his client was merely trying to speak to his ex-girlfriend when the man got in the way,. He could give no explanation from his client for the second assault.
The lawyer submitted that alcohol was not a factor in this case.
As part of the bail conditions imposed, the defendant was banned from contacting the victim and his ex-girlfriend and was also made subject of a curfew from 10 pm until 6 am.
The Magistrate, Bridget Shaw, ordered the preparation of a background report and adjourned the case for sentencing on 14 May.
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.