Firefighters were called out at 10.45 pm after the fire broke out at the property in Grands Vaux and sent smoke pouring into nearby flats.
In a statement, the Jersey Fire and Rescue Service said: ‘Upon arrival at the incident, smoke could be seen issuing from the flat window and the communal hallway serving four other flats.
‘It was quickly established that the fire was in a first floor flat and the power to the tumble dryer had been turned off by one of the residents.
‘A breathing apparatus crew was committed to the building to extinguish the fire with a hose reel jet.’
They added: ‘While the fire damage was limited to a small area, the flat involved, communal hallway and another flat on the floor above had become smoke logged.
‘A ventilation fan was used to clear the smoke, while welfare checks were conducted on residents from adjacent flats.’
Two people were taken to hospital as a precaution.