A paramedic working at the Hospital called the Fire Service after smelling burning in the area at around 4.40 am on Sunday.
It turned out to be coming from a flat opposite the Hospital where a man had fallen asleep while cooking eggs after a night out.
The man was woken and escaped uninjured.
The Fire Service said it could have been much more serious had a window not been open in the property at the time.
Crew Commander Andy Gallie said: ‘This incident clearly highlights the importance of having a correctly sited working smoke alarm.
‘It also highlights that a cold snack is a better idea than cooking a hot one after a night out.’