Town centre bar calls time after a century
A ST HELIER bar and restaurant which has served Islanders for nearly a century is to close indefinitely this weekend.
Lido's in Market Street will shut on Saturday following a decision by owner Nichola Mason not to renew the current lease, which expires at the end of this month.
The property has been a licensed establishment ever since Market Street was laid out in the 1820s to service the Central Market and the premises were known as the Kent Coffee House in the 1840s, before the Lieutenant-Governor, Sir James Reynett, bought the property in the early 1860s and converted it into the Clarendon Hotel
In 1907 it was rebranded Lido's after the nickname of the then owner, Elizabeth Ashelford and it operated as a pub for the next five generations before becoming a wine bar in 1987.
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.