French police reinforcements have been sent to Calais after clashes among migrants left 22 people injured during a worrying spike in violence.
Interior Minister Gerard Collomb told reporters in Calais that five of the victims were injured by gunfire in Thursday’s fighting, blaming “totally organised” gangs.
Police are seeking a shooting suspect but have made no arrests.
Authorities said that Afghan and Eritrean migrants had been fighting with sticks and stones after a meals were distributed before the shots were fired. Firearms are rare among migrants.
The government closed a vast Calais migrant camp known as the Jungle in 2016.