Be alert at home to the silent killer

A MAJOR campaign to raise awareness about the dangers of carbon monoxide has been launched by the Fire and Rescue Service today.

Jersey Fire and Rescue Service crew manager Phil Falle with a carbon monoxide detector
Jersey Fire and Rescue Service crew manager Phil Falle with a carbon monoxide detector

A MAJOR campaign to raise awareness about the dangers of carbon monoxide has been launched by the Fire and Rescue Service today.

The silent killer, as it is commonly referred to because the gas is colourless and odourless, causes between 40 and 50 fatalities in the UK every year and countless more suffer non-fatal poisonings.

In Jersey there have been four deaths recorded due to carbon monoxide poisoning in the past five years (2007-2011). However, it is unknown whether the deaths were accidental or from suicides.

In their campaign, which coincides this week with a similar national initiative to raise awareness about the gas, the Jersey Fire and Rescue Service want to highlight the signs to look out for that may suggest carbon monoxide is being released and the symptoms of poisoning.

Comments for: "Be alert at home to the silent killer"

BamBam

4 deaths in 5 years, all of which arent proven to be attributed to this.. Too much free time on their hands methinks.

drafty widow

bring back those draughty sash windows- NO MORE RADON GAS PROBLEM, NO MORE CARBON MONOXIDE BUILD UP, and no more dopey overheated humans.

BENNY RABBIT

lots of fresh air at the airport BAH CRI

Lost Boy

"too much free time"... isnt that a good thing?

What would you suggest to keep them busy, a couple of pre planned house fires to keep them busy?

philo rabbittoe

firemen issued with AUTOMATIC RABBIT DETECTORS. if the siren goes off, they must run as fast as they can in the opposite direction. were they sold to the service for £156,000 by bugsy planesgone?